Dad attacked by stranger in a takeaway found part of his severed ear on the floor

A dad-of-three found part of his severed ear on the floor after he said he was attacked by a stranger in a takeaway shop.

Darren Melling, 39, from Old Swan in Liverpool had returned from London after watched Everton play Brentford on August 27.

He then went to meet his cousin for a drink in the bar of Bongo’s Bingo close to the River Mersey, reports Liverpool Echo.

However, they were unable to enter the venue as it was too busy and so the pair decided to go home.

Mr Melling went to Hot Chillis takeaway on Berry Street in the city centre just after midnight to pick up some food for him and his wife.

He told the Echo: “I saw this girl on her own [in the takeaway] and she was having trouble with the contactless payment so I asked her if she was okay and if she was trying to pay. I said to her ‘you just need to tap here’.

“She said something to me that I can’t for the life of me remember, but I remember hearing that she wasn’t from here so I asked her where she was from. She said she was from Windsor.”

After speaking to the woman Darren explained how another customer then came “nose to nose” with him without saying a word.

The next thing he remembered was being face down on the floor.

Mr Melling said: “I was on the floor, face down, and I could just feel them punching or kicking me.

“When I got myself up they all ran out of the takeaway.

“I asked the staff about CCTV but they said they didn’t have any.

“There was this lad that also helped me and asked if I was okay, and I said I could feel trauma on my lip and nose.

“The lad said to me ‘it’s your ear, it’s on the floor’ and I looked down and just saw it there.”

Darren has described his attacker as being 6ft 1in, of stocky build with a ginger average length beard and short ginger hair.

He said he was wearing a white shirt and dark pants.

Merseyside Police were called and arrived at the scene soon after.

Darren was bandaged up at The Royal Liverpool University Hospital and later attended Fazakerley hospital, where his ear was trimmed and sewn up.

The NHS worker said: “Since this I have had sleepless nights and cold sweats. I have driven past where it happened, because I had to, but I just went quiet and looked.

“I was signed off work for three weeks but they have been great. I’m getting some counselling and possibly CBT organised.

“It’s just gut wrenching to think he has done this and could get away with it. I’ve been doubting myself since then, going over what I said and wondering what I did wrong.

“I wish I did do something because then this would make sense.”

Merseyside Police said they are continuing to investigate the incident, which happened at around 12.20am on Sunday, August 28.

Anybody who was in the area with CCTV or dashcam, or saw anything suspicious is asked to contact Merseyside Police via DM @MerPolCC, ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre’ on Facebook or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 with reference 22000637509.